Thursday 5 July 2007

K1, P1


One thing I like to do is knit. I don't do it with much regularity. In the time since I first learned how to knit I have completed a grand total of about..um..6 or 7 projects. There have been a smattering of booties, the occasional hat, and a couple of scarves. This over a period of many years. At the moment I have 3 projects on the go. One which I began about 2 1/2 years ago. It's all about the journey, no?

Recently I began embarking upon my most ambitious project ever, a jumper. This is not ambitious by most knitter's standards but I am not most knitters. It is a very standard (read: easy pattern) sweater with a crew neck. I am using a lovely blue worsted weight yarn. In Australia I believe that is 8 ply, having been taught to knit in Canada I am having a few translation issues. The picture above is of a dishcloth I completed just tonight. I am still learning to knit with cotton and dishclothes are a good way to practice. Cotton has a lovely finish that quite different from wool or arcylic. The problem with cotton, however, is that it can be quite difficult to work with. It is an unforgiving yarn due to it's lack of elasticity. As a result, much practice is needed before indulging in the more expensive, colourful and beautifully textured cottons.
I know that I am going to knit for many years to come. I hope to improve over time. Maybe one day I will even venture into sock territory... five needles, yikes!

No comments: